The Ebola outbreak in Congo is now the deadliest in the country’s history, according to new government data released on Monday.
There have been a total of 4,945 confirmed cases and 2,325 deaths associated with this outbreak in Congo since May.
This tops the previous record set during the 2018 outbreak in the Central African nation, in which there were 3,470 confirmed cases and 2,287 deaths, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data.
The largest outbreak to date occurred in West Africa between 2014 and 2016. More than 28,600 cases were reported in this time period, including 11,308 fatalities, according to the CDC.
In addition to being the deadliest outbreak on record in Congo, the virus is spreading faster than any previous outbreak in the nation.
The majority of cases have been concentrated in Congo, with 20 confirmed cases and two reported deaths in neighboring Uganda, according to the World Health Organization (WHO) webpage tracking this outbreak. The last confirmed patient in Uganda was discharged on July 16.
Dr. Jean Kaseya, the director-general for Africa’s CDC, said Monday that Uganda’s response “has shown that containment is possible.”
“The Democratic Republic of Congo now needs the same urgency and focus,” he said in a statement shared on social media.
The African public health official has advocated for a “village-centered response” to this outbreak that includes offering free healthcare services, ensuring the safe reopening of education centers and strengthening communication across borders.
In his Monday statement, Kaseya emphasized that “every delay” in this response effort “costs lives.”
“The moment demands decisive, unified action,” he continued.
The international response to this crisis has faced challenges due to ongoing conflict in this region. Attacks on health facilities and large-scale population displacement have hindered these efforts, according to a situation update shared by WHO last week.
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of WHO, pleaded with warring parties to halt fighting to allow medical assistance to reach people who had contracted the virus.
“A ceasefire, even a temporary one, would save lives,” Tedros wrote in the open letter back in May. “I urge you, I implore you: give us the space to help the people who need it most.”
Tedros reupped his pleas for an “immediate ceasefire” on Tuesday, following a video call with Faustin-Archange Touadéra, president of the Central African Republic.
“We discussed the response to the #Ebola outbreak in DRC, emphasizing that neighboring countries must enhance preparedness and cross-border cooperation,” Tedros wrote on social media. “To ensure safe access for health responders, an immediate ceasefire is critically needed.”

4 hours ago
45












English (US) ·