Have you ever had Mexican street corn? It’s absolutely delicious, and if you haven’t yet experienced it’s awesomeness, I highly encourage you to go out and do so STAT.
That being said, one of it’s fundamentals is being slathered with a bit of mayo, sprinkled with cheese, and seasoned.
I’m pretty sure my husband wanted to vomit the first time we tried it together and I got a little speck on my chin. He held it in, and did his best not to let me know since it was pre-marriage and all.
Come to think of it, maybe I should have wondered a bit more why he was so quick to not want to try a bite himself. Oh well.
Fast forward a decade, and I knew he’d like the flavors if he could really give it half a chance. I just had to keep his mayo-hattin-habit in mind.
Couldn’t have a random drop of mayo hit and land on his tongue and throw the whole thing off.
So I decided to adapt it, and incorporate it into another trick that seemed to please the hub’s palate. Without further adieu, I give you Mexican Street Corn Salad.
This slightly spicy Mexican Street Corn Salad is a creamy, crunchy smooth and tangy side salad all in one yummy bowl. It easily feeds a crowd, or can be halved to feed a smaller group.
Toasted corn kernels are mixed with salty Cotija cheese, a bit of diced spicy jalapenos, and fresh cilantro. Stirred in with a lightly seasoned garlic, lime, and mayonnaise-based dressing, this street corn salad is perfect for bringing to parties, for paring with grilled meats, or just for getting that yummy fix you crave– without any mess on your face.
Mexican Street Corn Salad
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add the olive oil and toast the corn-- cooking the corn for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the skillet from heat and set aside.
- In a separate, large bowl stir the mayo, cotija cheese, jalapeno, cilantro, cayenne, and minced garlic together, until evenly combined.
- Slice the lime in half and squeeze the juices from each half into the bowl. Stir until the juice is completely incorporated.
- Stir in the corn until completely incorporated, evenly, into the salad mixture.
- Refrigerate the salad until chilled.
- When ready to serve, spoon the mixture into bowls and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt, smoked paprika, and chili powder.